|2009 In Review
||[Jan. 1st, 2010|11:05 am]
Sara spelled without an h
This is an annual tradition!|
1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
Group Power (powerlifting) class at gym, joined and helped Herring Ponds Watershed Association, won Stickleback Award, won CC Wahines "best-dressed" trophy at Spring Pa'ina, sang with MARS, did intense 6-hour horseshoe crab survey protocol, saw the following bands live (MARS, Tori Pyne, My Own Worst Enemy, PBJ [Peter, Bjorn, and John], Depeche Mode, Chester French, Panic at the Disco, Fallout Boy, Blink 182, Tori Amos, Ra Ra Riot, Metric, Passion Pit, the Airborne Toxic Event, the Gaslight Anthem, the Bravery, Sloan, plus a number of other opening bands), Surfrider beach cleanup, fixed an AC unit, laid down cork tile floor, was on WFNX, my River Swim, recorded on a non a cappella CD, hosted a dinner party, saw/heard John Irving, flew JetBlue, ran in a 5K, took a spin class
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
#1 Continue weight loss - Yup, lost 22 lbs in 2009.
#2 Write at least one actual letter to a friend a month - Nope. Sorry friends.
#3 Make progress on one major house project - Yup, we had our house painted, plus we put in cork floors in the basement.
This year (bumping it up to 4!):
#1 Continue weight loss (maybe another 20 lbs?)
#2 Have a significant savings buffer at the end of 2010.
#3 Complete another significant house project (paint kitchen?)
#4 Be able to play 3 surf guitar songs somewhat fluidly
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I am really bad at remembering how old people's babies are, but I did go to two baby showers so both Liz and Sian had babies. I am pretty sure Alix and Kiki did too, but they can correct me. Moriah definitely did.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Ed, the drummer from our band NEERSighted. :-(
5. What new places did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
My 2009 wasn't really lacking much, but I would say I would like to have a better financial buffer for emergencies. I am already doing an ok job of getting that to work so that's good. We'll see where I am at the end of 2010.
7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Oh, May 2nd, definitely. I went to our "Green Expo" and ended up meeting a wonderful woman (Jen) who ended up putting in our raised veggie beds. Then I went to the CC Wahines Spring Pa'ina in a brown bridesmaid dress that my friend Kristen had passed to me plus my brown and red Converses. I had a hip-hop dance lesson, then ended up playing tambourine and singing with the band, MARS, who then became my friends. I won a trophy for being best-dressed. Then, a couple of the wahines (Ann Marie and Maura) and I went out to the Squire with the guys from MARS where we danced around in a conga line and saw a bar fight.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I had two big athletic achievements this year - my river swim and my 5K. Frankly, the 5K was a bigger achievement for me even though it was less than half the distance and about a quarter of the time of the swim.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Getting behind on various things - there's always some task I should have been keeping up with better.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Had a stomach bug in January and some shoulder bursitis in the summer.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably our raised vegetable bed or the new paint for our house. For non-mutual purposes, my softshell jacket I got super on sale at EMS.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My sisters for being brave and following their hearts.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
People I occasionally have to deal with who are completely deluded about how nature and ecology function.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Most of it goes to the mortgage.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Singing gigs and practices with bands and the Chants.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
"Kiss Me on the Bus" by the Replacements because a) I sang it w/ MARS at the Midway Cafe in JP b) it was my submission for "My Song is Better Than Your Song" on WFNX
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier, not that I was unhappy last year, but wow. What a good year this was.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner!
iii. richer or poorer? Richer in the sense that I have more saved up and am smarter about money.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Bike riding. I kept thinking I would put air in my tire and go for a ride, and totally didn't do it.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Hit the snooze button on days when Joe is away.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent it at my Mom's as usual, but we did the day itself at Liisa's house which was fantastic and brunch-focused, which of course I love.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Big Bang Theory or True Blood
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Come on, you know I don't hate like that. :P
23. What was the best book you read?
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
MARS, My Own Worst Enemy (friends and co-performers of MARS), Metric, The Motion Sick, Miike Snow, the Brian Eno and David Byrne album, Owl City, and probably a bunch of other stuff.
25. What did you want and get?
Well, I always want fun and excitement and new friends, and I got that in spades.
26. What was your favorite film of this year?
Fantastic Mr. Fox (and this is not a function of short memory, it really was my favorite this year)
27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 30, and had a birthday dinner at Casa Brasil with my family (yum churrasco). The next day I had a big party at the beach house.
28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Free coffee for a year!
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Fitted but not to the point of lumpy. Bright colors. Expose clavicle if possible.
30. What kept you sane?
Joe making me laugh, being able to sing so often with so many great people
31. What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay marriage and environmental issues like climate change
32. Who did you miss?
I missed my sisters. I feel like I barely saw them, or if I did it was pretty brief.
33. Who was the best new person you met?
Ah, there is no best person. Here are a bunch of people I met: Kristen C. (#1), Kristen C. (#2), Laurie I., Jen F., Chris G., Elizabeth H., Mike A., Kalea A., Devin B., Martha B., Billy S., Adam N., Fletcher, Ed O., Charlie P., Henry S., Julie K., Trevor F., Jim M., Julie R., any new wahines that I can't remember when I met them (was it this year?), people I met at parties, people I met at conferences, various watershed folks, volunteers, students, and people I randomly invited to share a table with me at breakfast (extrovert much?)
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
It is almost always worth it to stay, but follow your gut to know when to leave. Also, you can do anything, even if it's something you've always hated (*cough* running *cough*) if you work up to it and believe in yourself (cheesy but true.)
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
And I wonder
When I sing along with you
If everything could ever feel this real forever
If anything could ever be this good again
"Everlong", Foo Fighters